Re: Cleaning a 16V head/Used cam install..

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 23:41:34 EST Testastrega@aol.com writes:
How do I get rid of this stuff?

You can use compressed air but brake cleaner works (my choice) much
better. MAybe even a combination of the two would be best.

>Secondly there are some dings in the surface which meets the valve
cover,
>none that run from the inner wall to the outside but deep enough that I
am
>concerned, any way to possibly avoid a small oil leak?

The valve cover gasket should seal this. If it really bothers you, simply
dab a little gasket sealer there and smooth it with your finger. (Kind of
like a bondo job.) Let it set up al ittle before installing the valve
cover gasket.

>When rebuilding small block chevys we used to use a STP clear lube (cant

>remeber the name but it had a cotton ball dabber on the cap) on all the
>friction parts during assembly, should I remove the cams do that since
the
>head has been sitting for so long?

I would use assembly lube on everything before bolting it onto the block.
This would also mean removing the caps and cams. In the very least, take
the caps off and lube the cams that way. (with them still in the head,
just rotate and lube, rotate and lube.)
HTH!!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and