[explicitive!]

Alright, here's the story:

Last weekend I replaced some grounds and one of the battery connectors,
and somehow created a short circuit in my low beam lights and am always
blowing fuses.  Today, while chasing that down, I tried to start Fritz
and absolutely nothing happened.  The load-reduction relay shut alot of
things off, but the starter did nothing (no solonoid "click), no fuel
pump noise or anything.  Other electronics (radio, wipers, high beams,
etc) are working.  I have checked all of the fuses in fuse box and they
are alright.  Are there any ideas?  I figure it has to be something
simple.  (the more drastic the result, the simpler the cause, I have
found.)  I'm digging through the Bently now, but am looking for any tips.

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
'85 Jetta