Re: Automatic to Standard

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Chris Chemidlin wrote:

> The Scirocco 1 deal fell thru. The guy could not hold onto it for an extra
> week so I could come pick it up. I live 500miles away, its not like I could
> drop everything and go get it...

Sorry to hear that... it sounded like it would have been a sweet ride in
the end.

> I couldn't find a decent GTI, so I bought an 82 Cabriolet. My GF has always
> wanted one, and her Foxwagen is looking a little worse for the wear, so I
> picked up the cab knowing that it will be eventually donated to her, when I
> find the right GTi.
>
> Its silver with a black roof, in decent shape- $800. Has an electrical
> problem that Im taking care of right now. The bad part is, it has a 1.6
> Automatic in it. I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm sure it'll be a fun
> little car. Besides, it has that oh-so-cool german-2round-light grille
> setup...

Ahh, there's nothing like round headlights to make a car look awesome...

> Anybody ever do the swap to standard? I want to put the uGLi's motor and
> tranny in it, probably in spring.

I have done this swap on the A2 platform, and the A1 is the same in
theory.  You're in the best position possible as you have a complete donor
car.  The swap is fairly involved, and requires the moving of pedal
cluster, shift linkage, front, drivers and rear mounts, speedo cable,
throttle linkage, removal of some unnecessary vacuum plumbing (required
for modulating the automagic's shifts) and some mods to
the wiring - rigging a reverse switch, and bypassing the starter lockout
on the shifter.  The engine compartment of the automatic will look
a lot more familiar once it's empty... :)  The only oddball gotcha I can
think of right now would be the steering rack - the automatic may NOT have
a bracket for the shifter linkage, or if it does, it will be bent at the
wrong angle.  If you check the Bentley under suspension and steering, it
will mention this under the section for replacing the steering rack.

> Also, how do I test the lockout switch on the gear selector? There are 4
> wires- what does what?

If memory serves me, the thick red wire and the thick black wire carry the
starter-lockout circuit (only start in park, possibly neutral).  The
black/blue wire is hot for reverse lights switched from the red wire, and
the blue/yellow wire is switched instrument cluster lights to light up the
console.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on the swap!

Drew

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca