Re: Building a 16V (Mk1 Rocco)

> Some beginner questions.
>
> 1.  I have the 1.8 16V scirocco head.  Do I get a
> 2.0l head or is the 1.8
> head better. (I'm gonna use the 2.0l block - which
> one do I pick up)

Stick with the 1.8 head. Larger intake ports on it. I
think a lot more can be done with it.

> 2.  To motronic or not?  I can pick up a motronic
> 16V motor complete with
> wiring harness for cheap.  DO I bother with the
> motronic system or not?
> Shall I retain the ole CIS-e system.  I already have
> the entire wiring
> harness from a 16V Scirocco.  Any comments?

Depends how hard you are willing to work. To convert
over the Motronic you need basically all the wiring
from the Passat, the intake with the TB on the left,
the Air Box, etc... You must relocate the washer fluid
tank, and some various other things. The fuel lines
have to be routed to the passanger side of the car.
And the most difficult part is the wiring. Get your
hands on two Bentley's, and go to town. Definatly a
lot of work, but some people believe that the Motronic
system is more efficient.

> I should mention that I will retain the driver side
> setupo with the airbox
> on the driver's side.  In other words, I'll be using
> the 16V Scirocco setup.

You can do this, I think Brett is working something
like this for his Motronic setup for his car. You can
route the fuel lines using some sort of adapter to get
them to the passanger side.

> I know that others have done this swap before and
> there are others in the
> process of doing the same project.  Any help would
> be of great assistance.

Be prepared for absurd amounts of speed. :)
I want to do the Motronic setup in my car too, but my
lack of capital right now is preventing me from doing
so. And also there is so much shit I have to do first. :)

=====
Paul Maione (The Burnt Kid)
Scirocco 86' 8v
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/9149/