Re: Scirocco versus Corrado Comparison

In a message dated 12/19/1999 10:05:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wcressman@yahoo.com writes:

<< The G60, in
 standard tune, is still slightly faster than a 16v
 rocco to 60 and has a top
 speed at least 10mph faster.

--Actually, a properly running 16v Scirocco is about half a second faster
0-60.  (According to the magazines and buyers guides, all of which put the
Scirocco a little bit ahead of the Corrado in the 0-60 category)
True though, the G60 does have a higher top end.  (I used to own a 91 G60 and
currently own a 16v Scirocco.  When I owned my Corrado, my roommate had a 16v
Scirocco and we would race and screw around all the time)

<<More importantly, used
 G60s are a lot less
 expensive than VR6s,

--Shouldn't pay more than about $8500 for a premo G60 and maybe $13,500 for a
top notch SLC.

<<and, at the end of the day, it's
 still a more refined
 version of the engine we've grown to know and love.
 Paradoxically, what
 I've read about its cable shifting has inclined me to
 the automatic version
 which, in certain tests, has proved faster than the
 manual (there was a
 rumor floating around that the supercharger is turned
 up a notch on the
 automatic). >>

--I personally never even had a hint of a problem with my cable shifting in
my G60.  I even replaced the clutch slave cylinder which requires removal of
the linkage on top of the tranny.  I was warned by my local dealer against
performing the procedure myself as there are special tools "required" to
reset the linkage.  I just used white-out and marked the position everything
was in, replaced the slave, reinstalled the linkage and it all shifted
perfectly.

Ben
88 "Flash Silver Metallic" 16v Scirocco
Portland, Or