Re: Scirocco versus Corrado Comparison

Doug, you make some good points, some of which I agree
with, some I don't,
and some I don't know.  To go through your points:

>The VR6 is the only Corrado worth driving IMHO.
>The 4 cylinder versions are not worth the trouble.
>The Corrado is heavier than the MK2 Scirocco and
>the cable shifting is poor.

The VR6 is clearly a great car and the best version of
the Corrado but
perhaps it has unfairly overshadowed the G60 as
proposition.  The G60, in
standard tune, is still slightly faster than a 16v
rocco to 60 and has a top
speed at least 10mph faster.  More importantly, used
G60s are a lot less
expensive than VR6s, and, at the end of the day, it's
still a more refined
version of the engine we've grown to know and love.
Paradoxically, what
I've read about its cable shifting has inclined me to
the automatic version
which, in certain tests, has proved faster than the
manual (there was a
rumor floating around that the supercharger is turned
up a notch on the
automatic).

I have considered the
>Corrado but after you take a real close look you
>will find that the SLC Corrado is a top end car that
is
>best driven on the open roads of Germany.
>The cost to keep it going is far more than
>a Scirocco in similar condition. The SLC
>has the power to pull the car but the 4 cylinder
>versions are not that good. If you like G60's
>put one in the Scirocco. The Automatic trans is
>junk!!! They are only good for about 100K.
>Just look at the Passat page and you will see
>Automatic transmission cars dropping like flees.
>I put a Corrado 5 speed in my Automatic Passat.

You've got me worried about the automatic
transmission.  I've heard that
they last well if really carefully maintained but I'm
not an expert so I'll
have to research it further.  I will say I was
impressed by the G60's
automatic from a driver's point of view.  It was easy
to shift down, shifted
crisply and held to the redline on kick-down.  Can you
give me a URL for the
Passat page you were talking about?  I'm also a bit
concerned about the
maintenance cost but can find no hard data on it.  The
good news is that
there's a lot of Corrado resources on the web.

>The Corrado is a interesting car but I think the MK2
>16v is better solution. My MK1 with the 1.7 stock
>motor was much faster than the Corrados in all
>the Auto-x events that I have driven in. The Corrados
>were on street tires so the comparison is not 100%
>fair but the MK1 has 70hp at 1981 lbs.

I hear you but my point of view is slighly different.
For auto-X events I'd
imagine the Scirocco is far superior because of its
lower weight.  But I'm
looking for a car with a nineties refinement and the
Scirocco spirit.  I
want it to perform when I want to go balls-out, but I
also want it to cosset
me when I'm tired and driving home from a job or when
I'm just hacking
around a bumpy urban landscape (the Corrado's also a
great and fairly quiet
highway cruiser)..  It also helps to have to car that
clients riding in find
to be "normal" rather than worrry about my cheapness
or weirdness   Horses
for courses I guess.

I'm still going to research this as I haven't made up
my mind yet, so I
really appreciate your input.

Wayne C.