944/Scirocco thread

Not to keep this thread alive...but BTDT.

Ten or so years ago.  Porsche track day Mid-Ohio.  My 87 16V Sc, stock
but with mild alignment, Neuspeed front bar, K&N panel, Bilstein sports.
I was tire slut , and had some ex-hot shoe's Goddyear 205/55-14 ZRS.
At least it said Goodyear on outside.  Inside, the strut would buff off
the tire's lettering.

Instructor had both 944, dunno tires, setup etc. and
16V Sc with 205/60-14 RE-71s.

Granted I had only been on track two outings before (and one of those was
before they made the CART improvements) and had a hard time getting the
drift right in the carousel, but the ride in the 944 -and- the lap times
convinced me they are two nice cars with distinct personalities, but on a
track the 944 was superior to the Scirocco.  Also had cuz with a stock 88
924S, and that too would give a serious threat to a 16V Sc, IMHO.

But....when your talking performance, cojones and opportunity cost enter
into the fray.  At that outing, the 16V Sc was my daily ride -and- I've
never had collison or comprehensive (Not that that would help at Mid
Ohio), so I was less agressive.  But a couple years earlier, 1987, at
same track I was giving the CSP 78 a last fling and had the 16V in
garage.  Yeah, I verily gave some friend's in 944s a challenge (and head
to help him bleed brakes mid-day) toasting some front pads (trying to get
rid of old pads) to where they were fully metallic, warping the backing
plate.  So even now if your willing to give your car your all, you
probably have an advantage over the average 944 driver.  YMMV.

--
Brian D./OH
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all...