Re: What the Hell is in that Taurus!

The most fun I ever had behind the wheel was playing with a SHO.  I was
at a BMW CCA driver's school at Summit Point Raceway (West Virginia) and
on my last run of the weekend it was just me and the SHO out there by
ourselves, having separated from the rest of the drivers.  It was a
classic horsepower v. handleing scenario.  I was ahead of him and would
be halfway down the main straight when he got onto it.  Going into the
first turn he'd be right on my bumper.  I pulled enough away from him in
the first two turns so that he couldn't pass me in the first passing
zone.  Through the next 7 turns I lost him, and he was no where to be
seen in the last passing zone or the 10th turn back on to the main
straight.  But sure enough, halfway through the main he'd show up (no pun
intended) and would once again catch me going into the first turn.

We did this for about 10 minutes before the first generation 300ZX turbo
I was chasing down went off the track in the first turn.  I had to slow
down for this, and the SHO got me in the first passing zone.  I was on
his bumper through the turns until we got back to the main straight, when
his 3.0 V6 crushed my 1.7 four-banger.  He was in the first turn when I
was halfway down the main straight, and I would be reel him in and
finally get on his bumper going back onto the main before he'd lose me
again.

It was an incredible time.  I had the handleing and brakes, and he had
the ponies.  When all was said and done we had identical lap-times around
the 2.2 mile, 10 turn course.  After the session and we parked, he and I
walked up to each other and cheered and shook hands.  I saw him again the
next time I was there and he had an old MR-2.  I had no problems
outrunning him this time.  But in his defense, his engine was slowly
grinding itself into oblivion amidst a cloud of blue smoke...  :-(

I still smile when I think of it...

Later,
B.

'82 Scirocco (aka "Fritz")