Re: removing ENTIRE rear suspension

actually, you don't "need" an impact wrench.  What is
spinning?  is it the whole strut shaft or just the
nut?  If it is just the nut, keep a crankin.  If not,
you need to get some vice grips and hold the shaft
while you are crankin.  When you shocks go bad this
sometimes happens.

To take the rear suspension off, jack the car up, take
off the top and bottom nuts/bolts, take the whole
assembly off, take the top nut off, remove the spring
caps, replace parts as ncessary

Mark

--- Lee Folkman <general_lee_f@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You need an impact wrench...it makes it extremely
> easy.  I remember
> replacing the springs for the fronts struts without
> one and it took over an
> hour to get the beast off.  Went to a tool sale,
> bought an impact wrench,
> came back home, and got the other one off in less
> than 30 sec.  Very nice
> thing to have.
>
> Lee Folkman
> '84 Wolfsburg Scirocco 8v
> '82 Jetta Diesel(225,000+ and can still get 50mpg)
>
> >From: WaspHwy@aol.com
> >To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> >Subject: removing ENTIRE rear suspension
> >Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:04:05 EST
> >
> >what is the easiest way to do this? it doesnt look
> too  hard. 84 8v btw...
> >
> >ps. I keep trying to get the nuts off of the top of
> the struts, but they
> >just
> >spin... no backing up... what gives?
> >
> >--