Coils

How do I know if the coil is no longer good?
What does the coil do and what does it run?

I understand that the tach hooks up to the coil (my tach don't work, I'm
thinking that the coil is going or already gone).  How about helping the
car start or even drawing current while the car is off?

There's a dent in the coil from the engine rocking back and forth.  Can
this dent create or cause the coil to be bad, disfunction or just fuct?

Any input?

TIA

Sal
81 Scirocco