Re: Coils

<x-flowed>>How do I know if the coil is no longer good?
>What does the coil do and what does it run?
>
>I understand that the tach hooks up to the coil (my tach don't work, I'm
>thinking that the coil is going or already gone).  How about helping the
>car start or even drawing current while the car is off?
>
>There's a dent in the coil from the engine rocking back and forth.  Can
>this dent create or cause the coil to be bad, disfunction or just fuct?
>
>Any input?
>
>TIA
>
>Sal

Sal, you've got some issues, that's for absolutely sure. :]

There are tests in just about every Scirocco relevant VW manual to
determine if your coil is up to specs, these tests will involve
the use of a multimeter.

The coil is the device that sends the huge voltage charge to the
spark plugs, it's a voltage multiplier using lots and lots of wire
windings to accomplish this I believe.

The coil is vital for running and starting the car.  Your tach is
probably having wiring difficulties, maybe behind the cluster
or enroute to the coil somewhere. And no, it doesn't draw any
current while the car is off.

The dent probably isn't doing any good, and may have broken the
windings inside the coil, which would cause it to stop working. I
suggest replacing it.  Swap one in from one of your other working
vehicles to test.

==Brett