Good Grounds

<x-charset iso-8859-1>On keeping your electrical connections prisine:

I'd replace any broken ground straps, even ones that don't seem obvious as
to why theiy are needed. You don't think VW (or any maker) would put these
in if not really needed. There may be an issue of corrosion prevention, or
?? There may also be a ground strap on the transaxle.

Also, get a can of spray electrical contact cleaner/preservative, and redo
all ground connections as such:

If the connection is bolted to body or engine part - remove bolt, steel wool
connectors and the contact part of body/engine, apply preservative, and
reconnect the parts to a loose/snug torque, wiggle to scrape down to metal
on both parts of contact, then tighten as normal.

For spade connectors, remove connector, consider squeezing the female part
*very carefully, minutely* (a vicegrips adjusted to put just a wee squeeze
on it is great, apply preservative, and reattach.

You might check all electrical connections this way, can't hurt. I believe
the wiring harness connectors originally have some sort of electrical
"grease" on them to preserve them and prevent oxidation, but it they are
dry, the spray preservative is better than nothing. Perhaps a similar
"grease" is available, and can be used for all of the above.

Spray your light switches in the door sills, and even do your headlight and
taillight connections.

elect-Ron Antaki

many old VWs with now decent electrical systems!