Re: Darwin Awards Fw: Speedo

I can think of at least one honorable mention Darwin
Award that is true: there is even an NTSB report out
there about it (sorry I can't remember the number).  A
guy tied a whole bunch of balloons to his lawn chair
and proceeded to sit down in the chair with a shotgun
in lap.  He floated up through LAX's airspace, hence
the NTSB report.
I do not know if the rest of the Darwin awards are
true or not, but they are very funny.
--- Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 23:42:46 -0800 "Dave and Carol
> Ewing"
> <dcewing@prodigy.net> writes:
>
> >How do you know they aren't true?
>

> Because this crap went around the net YEARS ago
> which was proven to be a
> part of a web site which posts stories that are good
> enougn to be true,
> but arent.
> Besides, this story had alot of variances from
> teller to teller.
>

>  It was my understanding that the
> >Darwin
> >awards were awards given to people who killed
> themselves or maimed
> >themselves in the stupidest way possible.  So, why
> would the put
> >something
> >on there that wasn't true??
>
> Because its a funny story. As is the guys who were
> ice fishing with
> dynamite, threw a lit stick and the dog fetched it
> back ect ect. Funny
> story, but NOT true.
>

> >Am I wrong listers?
>
> Of course.
>
> > Is there anyone out there that knows this answer?
>

> Yah, dont take my word for it. Look it up.
>

> >I think the ORIGINAL goal was to find a 140 mph
> speedo for my Rabbit
> (that
> >will do it by the way).  The statement that I was
> responding to was that
> >someone said the scirocco MK1 couldn't do 140.  So,
> I figured if the
> Trans
> >Am Series took the MK1 scirocco and made it do 160+
> on the track in 1975
> or
> >76, I would think that 25yrs later there are quite
> a few street legal
> >sciroccos that can do 140+.
>

> I understood your point. Im simply dissagreeing with
> you is all. You fail
> to recognize that the TA series cars were DEDICATED
> RACE CARS. Thats all
> im pointing out to you. I also said that I didnt
> think a 140 mph Scirocco
> is not impossible either. Damn rare but not
> impossible.
>

> > Sean, you added to this yourself when you were
> >reflecting back on your Tribal Police days and
> doing 152mph, remember!
>

> David, I also pointed out that it was hugely gravity
> assisted and also
> gave the actual speed figures of the car, remember!
>

> >Anyway, lets just be entertained and learn from the
> list, not nit pick
> and
> >think we all need to be in competition with each
> other.  I JUST WANTED
> >A STINKIN SPEEDO!!!
>

> Dissagreeing with you is in no way nit picking. Nor
> was I trying to
> compete with you. (Whatever that means exactly.) If
> you cant handle the
> conversation aspect of the list, (or any list) you
> might want to consider
> not posting because SOMEBODY will probably reply to
> [...]

=====
Ellen Northam
'81 Scirocco (RIP)
'93 Corrado SLC