RE: Quick Question with Hopefully a Very Quick Answer(reverse backfire)

> Hey everyone,
> I've got the MkI's engine cranking over, fuel pumping, and spark, but I've
> got a backfire out the airboot into the airbox(luckily I didn't clamp the
> boot down yet and it just pops off).  I have tried to start it a few times
> with the same result.  Anyone seen, or know what this is(actually knowing
> what this is is prefered  :)  )

Sounds like exactly what happened to me last September, except my boot was
clamped down.  My neighbors even called to ask is everything was alright.
Sounded like a gun going off!

Easy solution.  Set the timing - all three points - correctly.  It is so far
advanced ( retarded?) that the intake valves are open when it fires... and
KABOOM!

Good luck!

Greg :) (I won't even mention what happened to my nicely painted exhaust
manifold that day!)

Gregory Davis       1985 Euro-spec Scirocco

GAK Motorsports... Your source for German Plates,
country emblems, and more!

Please visit http://www.DriversFound.com