Quick Question with Hopefully a Very Quick Answer(reverse backfire)

Hey everyone,
I've got the MkI's engine cranking over, fuel pumping, and spark, but I've
got a backfire out the airboot into the airbox(luckily I didn't clamp the
boot down yet and it just pops off).  I have tried to start it a few times
with the same result.  Anyone seen, or know what this is(actually knowing
what this is is prefered  :)  )
Thanks

John Worden
Old Town, Maine

'98 Dodge Dakota 4x4
'86 Volkswagen Scirocco- 8V, stock
'81 Volkswagen Scirocco(Mk1) soon to be 2.0 16V.  The engine is in/
and all electrical is pretty much done.
'69 MGB- in need of total resoration(needs some front fenders too)