Re: Strut Nuts

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 "Lindsay  Campbell"
<lindsay@lindsay22.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

>Hi guys ,
>
>Quick question ............
>I was wondering the easiest way to tighten up the top strut nuts .....

Mr. Impact wrench. dat-a-dat-a-dat-a-dat-done.

>Can someone tell me what the torque for the top nut should be

52 ft lbs according to my Bentley. Ive always just used the impact on it.
The locking nuts dont back off any what so ever so I would be inclined to
believe that your problem is due to bad strut bearings.

>and should
>there be a slight gap between the rubber of the mounting and the metal
>plate on the top sorry about the poor description .............
>thanks in advance for any info and help
>
>Scooby    (92 Scala)

Slight, yes. <1/4" is about right for new upper strut bearings. anything
over that is pretty much the story for upper strut bearings. They dont
usually last long and show sagging signs within 6 months of instalation.
I dont worry about it until the bearings start making noises. Then again,
I just installed a new set a few months ago and the steering inputs were
noticably easier with the new bearings over my slightly saggy but quiet
upper strut bearings.YMMV, of course.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and