Re: Windshield

John Lagnese wrote:

> Hi,...
 Now the question - is changing the
> windshield something I may be able to do?
> Funny, I have a bit of a headache.
> Stupidly,
> John

Here is what I did with the '81.

- Spread a sheet across the dash, close the two doors on it.

- Begin peeling the rubber gasket away from the car body on the inside.
(What to do about the stock chrome strip I don't know, I have a later
gasket.)

- Feet on dash, press old glass outwards. It'll crack a bit.

- Peel old glass out, preserve rubber.

- Remove glass splinters, clean channel.

- Lube up channel with high quality carnuba car wax.

- Place gasket on new cleaned window.

- Wrap heavy twine or clothesline around gasket, it should be waxed up
too.

- Have helper lower window/gasket into position. Support it from within
as well.

- Work the rubber into the car's interior as best you can, with helper
providing even pressure from outside. Work on one are at a time, don't
try and do the whole thing at once, go around and around to work it
slowly.

- Use of a wooden popsicle stick will help to work the gasket back into
place with out damage.

- Don't worry if it rides a little high or "out". It will settle a bit
over time, don't press too hard trying for perfection the 1st time. You
_can_ crack the glass if you want.  :)

hth,
TBerk