Re: Installing a Cam

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:12:08 -0700 Sal Guzzo <yu129742@YorkU.CA> writes:
>When replacing the cam, Should I check for valve clearance?  If I do, I
>simply replace the shims with appropriate ones or what?  I read the
Bentley
>yesterday and I noticed that you need to check the clearance and then
>replace the shims with the proper ones.  The head was rebuilt in October
>and I have only put about 7000kms on it.  What do I do?
>
>Sal

I could of swore I already addressed your questions regarding this.

OK, LOOK. You can toss the cam in and drive the car if you want. If you
want to do the job right, do it by the book!
Having the head rebuilt has nothing to do with cam clearances on a new
cam. It might be close on a few valves, you might have a few that are
perfect you might have some too tight or too loose. The ONLY way to know
for sure is to check the valve clearance, just like how the book tells
you to do it. That's what you do. Otherwise, take it to a shop if its
over your abilities. HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and