RE: Re: Installing a Cam

Yes, always check the clearance.

Alright, here's what you do. Get your feeler gauge and check the
clearances. Have a note book nearby and write down all of the
clearences. For the ones that are already correct, do a dance and
sacrifice a small mammal to the gods of valve lash. For the ones that
are off, figure out by how much they are off, and write that down for
each one. Then remove the cam again. And take out the shims that were
incorrect. Flip them over and write down the number on the back next to
the other info for that shim.

Now my memory gets fuzzy. I think that the number thing goes like this...
The shims have numbers like 70 or 75 or 85, etc. Basically increments of
5. They mean that the thickness of the shim is 3.xx mm. (where "xx" is
the number on the back)

Using the info you've written down, calculate what thickness is needed
for each valve, i.e. if one valve's lash was 0.10 mm too thin, and the
shim that was there was a 70, then you need an 80 shim there.  Do this
for all of the incorrect shims. Write it down.

Now, go through the small stack of shims that you have in your hand. See
if any of the ones you have match up with what you need. If they match,
do another dance and sacrifice another small mammal.

When you are left with the list of shims that you still need, Call
Potterman (or Mark) and get the remaining ones shipped to you.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco