Re: MD State infection and 16v woes

 	Questions:
> 	1. It also needs power steering rack boots to pass
> inspection, while
> im messing with it should I do tie rod ends? They
> have never been
> replaced and I figure while I have the end puller in
> my possession why not
> do it.

===I would.

> 	2. Friday morning I am going to swap some new axles > on to it. It >
needs 2 outer boots, and the inner boots are a bit > worn 	so I figured
> that I don't want to deal with rebuilding CV's and I
> should just go with 2 > new axles. What is the favorite 	method for
breaking
> the axle nut > that is supposedly cranked on at like 150ft lbs or >
something insane?

===with the wheels on the ground, I use a breaker bar attached to a
30mm hex socket. On top of the breaker bar, I slide on a 3' steel pipe
that I had made for me at a hardware store. It makes it very easy. Just
lossen the nut a little, then jack up the car and do the rest.

 and
> what is the 	best way to crank it back on?

Tighten the nut as much as possible while car is on jacksatands, then
when wheels are on ground again, reverse of above.

HTH

===
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM