Re: The poop on ABS

<< Fact is, you stop better when you still have
 tire traction.... lockem up and you're gonna go sailing >>

I can't believe you guys are argueing this either.  Owen is completely right.
 I don't particularly want ABS on any vehicle that I own(even though its on
my pathfinder) but I understand its benefits.  Take for instance my 200+ foot
skid last thursday night in my Tacoma on the way to John Van Vuren's on wet
roads in West Virginia going around a turn on I77.  I HAD to stop from about
70MPH to zero immediately and I also had to get out of the lane I was in.  I
had NO way to turn(because all 4 were locked) and instead I had to let off of
the brakes & turn which sent me sliding right towards the guardrail FAST.
Sooo, then I had to do some major brake pumping(felt like ice/winter driving)
to avoid hitting the guard rail and I slid to a stop right in front of police
and emergency personell.  The average person would have hit the brakes once
and given up once they felt the skid I was in.  But, the average person these
days has ABS and may have had enough control to do what I did without ABS.
However you look at it, ABS is good.  I think you just have to want to give
up a little control which is hard for a control freak like myself.
:-)
Dan May
8716VScirocco
95Pathfinder