non-scirocco...but Audi

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1986 Audi 4000 CS (NOT Quattro)
for cheap.  It has the leather interior, sunroof, AC, power windows.
I am pretty sure it has the 1.8L engine and I know it has an automatic
tranny (yuck - probably 3 spd).  It also has some surface rust and a
minor dent but the person only wants $300 for it.  I know it needs new
CV joints and a cat back exhaust but these can be gotten cheaply.

I know this thing is going to be a dog performance wise, but it is a
real comfortable car.  Does anyone have any experience w/ these cars?
Anything that is known to go wrong with them, or are they pretty
reliable.  I am thinking about getting this and fixing it for my
brother who is stuck driving a Pontiac 6000 --hahahaha, but seriously,
I feel bad for him and I don't want to give him a POS.

Thanks

Victor