Re: upper stress bar querry

--- "Wm. Josiah Erikson" <josiah@bork.hampshire.edu> wrote:
> I don't think it will clear the hood, unfortunately.
> It will bolt on,
> but you won't be able to shut the hood properly. To
> put swaybars on the
> Mk1, you just need to get the rear control arm
> brackets from a car that
> had swaybars, and drill holes in the appropriate
> places on the control
> arms (this is for a front swaybar). For an
> aftermarket rear swaybar, you
> might have to get some swaybar brackets from a car
> that had them from
> the factory and was A1 chassis. I don't know if
> aftermarket bars come
> with those brackets. You may also need to drill a
> couple of holes at the
> top of your rear axle beam to be able to fit them.
> Look at a car that
> has swaybars on it from underneath, and it will
> become obvious.
>     HTH!
>     -Josiah
>     '84 GTI
>     '87 QSW (calipers magically unseized themselves
> yesterday)
>     http://bork.hampshire.edu
>

> bret wrote:
>
> >  I have an upper stress bar (nuespeed) for a
> scirocco II.  I am
> > starting this weekend on moving the drivetrain
> from my scirocco II to
> > my 78 scirocco I will this stressbar fit?  it
> looks like it will, but
> > I don't know.  also how do I put swaybars on the
> mk1???? thank in
> > advance guys.....  -b

=======================
In addition to Josiah's comments:

I doubt if the MK2 Scirocco upper stress bar will fit properly. There
is an upper stress bar specifically for the MK1 Scirocco - there must
be a reason for this.

On the 1978 Scirocco, in order to mount the rear control arm brackets
with the sway bar bracket you'll need to move the fuel lines a bit to
clear the sway bar bracket. It's a U.S. model PITA that VW did not
correct until the 1981 model year (they relocated the fuel lines).

===
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM