Re: upper stress bar querry

I don't think it will clear the hood, unfortunately. It will bolt on,
but you won't be able to shut the hood properly. To put swaybars on the
Mk1, you just need to get the rear control arm brackets from a car that
had swaybars, and drill holes in the appropriate places on the control
arms (this is for a front swaybar). For an aftermarket rear swaybar, you
might have to get some swaybar brackets from a car that had them from
the factory and was A1 chassis. I don't know if aftermarket bars come
with those brackets. You may also need to drill a couple of holes at the
top of your rear axle beam to be able to fit them. Look at a car that
has swaybars on it from underneath, and it will become obvious.
    HTH!
    -Josiah
    '84 GTI
    '87 QSW (calipers magically unseized themselves yesterday)
    http://bork.hampshire.edu