Re: electrical problems

radcomms@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> The first problem with this vehicle is that it apparently stalls - only on
> hot days - after around a 15 mile drive. It then takes a couple of hours to
> restart the vehicle.

this is the text book example of what happens when the in-tank transfer fuel
pump dies. Have him check with the dealer, there is a recall on some sciroccos
and he might get a new one for free.

> Has anyone had this type of problem ?  I know that fuel pressure is a
> critical factor in CIS/E injection systems, and the problem could be an
> intermittent fuel pump, or transfer pump, or even be related to the
> ditributor or ignition module.
>
> Do any of these have a habit of failing ?

yes, our fuel pumps don't last, tell him to listen for the buzzing noise that
the pump makes, if there is no noise the pump is dead, if there is way too much
noise the pump is about to die. Have him check for any rust or dirt in the fuel
tank.

> The second issue seems to be an endemic failure of the sections of the
> electrical system, starting with the clock and upshift indicator, then,
> almost immediately after, the loss of turn signals. A local mechanic found
> the fuses and flasher faulty...replaced them and zap..fuses blew again
> instantly and is suggesting the vehicle needs rewiring (!)
>
> Obviously this suggests a short circuit is occurring past the fuses, but it
> seems a little odd given that the vehicle is not collision damaged.  Is
> there any known problem with electrical connections in the Scirocco....ie
> overheating contacts to fuse panel, or wiring looms damaged by chafing in
> the dash ??

alot of the time the front windshield seal starts to leak water directly onto
the fuse box. This happened to me which made my flashers and my wipers short
out. Check the fuse box for any corrosion, all i did to fix it was scrape off
the corrosion in the fuse box and fix the windshield, haven't had a problem
since.

-nigel.