No Subject

Hello all, and greetings from Australia.

I have a relative stateside who owns a 1984 Karmann Wolfsburg Scirocco, and
is having a few problems which strangely seem to be baffling the local
experts, so I was hoping to (please) draw on the experience of list members
for some ideas.

Query came back to me as I work on auto electronic systems out here - but
I've never seen a Scirocco here.

>From what information I seem to have found, there seems to be a common
issue with wiring and fuse panels in the Scirocco (?)

The first problem with this vehicle is that it apparently stalls - only on
hot days - after around a 15 mile drive. It then takes a couple of hours to
restart the vehicle.

Has anyone had this type of problem ?  I know that fuel pressure is a
critical factor in CIS/E injection systems, and the problem could be an
intermittent fuel pump, or transfer pump, or even be related to the
ditributor or ignition module.

Do any of these have a habit of failing ?

The second issue seems to be an endemic failure of the sections of the
electrical system, starting with the clock and upshift indicator, then,
almost immediately after, the loss of turn signals. A local mechanic found
the fuses and flasher faulty...replaced them and zap..fuses blew again
instantly and is suggesting the vehicle needs rewiring (!)

Obviously this suggests a short circuit is occurring past the fuses, but it
seems a little odd given that the vehicle is not collision damaged.  Is
there any known problem with electrical connections in the Scirocco....ie
overheating contacts to fuse panel, or wiring looms damaged by chafing in
the dash ??

Hope I'm not imposing on the list members, but I consider you are the
experts in these vehicles...if its happened, you'll know about it.

Thanks

Bob R