Relays Rocc!

Last night Doug and I relayed the lights on the MK1 DSP car.  Wow!!  Now
night is day in front of that car.  Talk about bright!  All the wiring was a
pain and it still could use some cleaning up.  But after working on it for 6
hours straight, we were getting anxious to finish.  We mounted the relays
using the screws that attach the turn signals to the headlight bracket.  We
didn't feel like drilling through any of the sheetmetal in the fender or the
upper radiator core support.

We used 10 gauge wire to go to each cluster of lights and soldered several
14 awg wires at the end to power each relay.  All the grounds were also 14
awg that we soldered to another 10 awg to go back to the battery.  I didn't
really like the idea of putting all the relays next to the battery and
having to run 6+ wires under the radiator.  We only ran 2 10 awg wires under
the radiator.  Some of the wires were a little short once I started
connecting things, so I'd like to make them a little longer.  Then I'll
sleep better.

I forgot that the H4's have large spades on them, so we had to re-use the
old headlight connectors.  I wanted to avoid splicing, but was pushed to the
wall on this one.  All in all, it's a lot of rerouting and splicing.  It
could be done in a lot less time, but not if you want it to be clean.
Making the wiring harness takes quite a bit of time.  You will definitely
appreciate the effort it takes to make an electrical harness.  And this one
is relatively simple!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Sidewinder