RE: BOSCH fuel system books

I agree wholeheartedly with Jonas' review of the book.  It goes to great
lengths to demystify the workings of fuel injection.  Definitely a great
book.

As for the modifications section, well FI isn't easy to modify correctly.
And the author says this over and over.  There is a lot of research that has
gone into the system and it is optimized for many applications.  The systems
are tuned for reliability, emissions, economy, performance, fuel quality,
temperature and altitude.  You can start changing something and not know
where you will gain and where you will lose some functionality.  The
standard FI system will not impede performance at all until the engine is
putting out more than 170 hp according to Probst.  So what he's saying is
that you don't really want to modify the system unless you add something
that wasn't orginally in the picture, like a turbo for instance.  Our
systems are slightly less flexible than the Motronic systems because mixture
and ignition are in different computers.  So swapping in a Motronic system
would probably be the best (but not easiest) way to gain flexibility.

Enough rambling!

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Sidewinder