Re: rear cover

Michael Barry - Pooka Stew wrote:

> Hi,  I'm new to the list, and have a question:
>
> Any hints where I can find a replacement cover...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike ('84 Mk2 bought new by me back then)

Baltic Birch is the plywood of choice, but-

I don't like the weight or thickness, or the 'homemadness of plywood. I
guess I'm a 'wood snob'.

I mocked up a rear shelf for the Mk1 using peg board- the stuff is
medium density particle board. kinda crappy but it was cheap to
experiment with. I used the aluminum 'angle iron' underneath and at one
point it supported a pair of 4" two ways & a pair of 6x9 three-way
speakers with just a bit of sag. I attribute most of the sag to the fact
that the aluminum Ls were only held on w/ zip ties, not the nut & bolts
called for in the final design.

Next version will include HDF instead of peg board, a slightly larger
aluminum L stock, bolts to keep out the creep that leads to sagging, and
aluminum edging to take the wear and tear on the edges as they meet he
side shelfs.

Expected benefits; light, stiff, cheap, durable.

TBerk