jittery speedo

The speedometer needle on my '86 8V has started fluttering - it did this a
few years ago but then the problem just went away. It doesn't bother me in
itself, except that it causes little surges when the cruise control in on  -
I'm reasonably sure this is the case, due to the inductive pick-up for the CC
on the back of the speedo head. Has anyone dealt with this before?
-specifically, I'm wondering if the problem is with the speedo head or the
cable (or something else) ... might lubing the cable help? Replies to me are
much appreciated.

Alan Cote
'86 Scirocco 8V
'93 Passat wagon VR6 5-spd