Smoother shifting is on the way!

Last night I spent a little time out in the garage so I could get a start
replacing all these parts I have laying around to install.  First, I took
out the clutch cable.  It seems the potsmoking hillbilly inbreeding PO
decided that when the sheath on the cable buckled (for whatever reason -
probably just old), he didn't want to shell out the big bucks ($13 at my
VWFLAPS) for a new one.  So he took some washers, a little steel tube, a
brass bushing, and a socket and slipped them all onto the cable before he
installed the cable retainer.  It kind of worked, except it sawed through
the front left brake line.

While I had the cable out, I decided to look at my shift linkage and replace
some bushings.  The first thing I saw was a rod with a right-angle bend on
the end that operates some sort of selector - I was pressed for time so I
didn't look into what its function is.  Anyway, this little rod passes
through this great big hole without any kind of bushing.  The bushing from
the kit that seemed to fit was like Nylon or something like that, so I'm
sure the stoned inbreeder removed it himself.  Probably likes the thrill of
not knowing what gear he's in until he tries to take off.

I still have a whole mess of bushings in the bag, but I didn't replace any
more last night because for the first time I could find all the gears, and
it was time for Southpark.

I think I should be able to start driving the car next week.

Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - for sale or trade in Columbus, IN
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale