Well now what?

Some of you may recall that I've been having a problem with
my '88 16v backfiring.  Well, maybe not backfiring, but it
sure sounds like it - kind of a "popping" noise coming from
towards the front of the car.  While trying to track down
the mystery I noticed my exhaust manifold was cracked
(REALLY cracked as it turned out), so I got a new one from
Potterman and installed it yesterday evening.  Well, the
problem remains.  It still "pops" (especially) on heavy
acceleration, once in awhile while cruising, and sometimes
while coasting.

Any clues as to what this could possibly be?  The *entire*
exhaust system is now one year old - Techtonics 2.25"
stainless, plus a Techtonics downpipe.  I asked a VW tech
about it and his reply was "it's the aftermarket exhaust
not producing the right backpressure" which I don't buy
because it suddenly started this a little over a month and
a half ago.  The timing belt was recently changed by VW so
the timing should be correct.  (And it was doing this
BEFORE the belt change as well)

I'm at a loss at this point.  I'm supposed to take the car
on a little jaunt to Toronto tomorrow and it's quite
embarrassing to be popping along while playing in traffic.

TIA!

===
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry