Re: Fwd: Performance Cooling Questions

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:

> Here's a question, though. Is pinging eliminated by a ks? My engine never actually knocks; it just sometimes sounds like a bunch of bb's are rolling around in a bucket when under load... Okay, and now a second issue: How come the engine is more likely to ping when at partial throttle in high gear? Intuitively I'd figure that it would happen under WOT -that is, when there is the *most* load and heat generated. It doesn't work out that way, though. How come?

pinging isn't totally eliminated by the knock sensor, when it senses pinging it retards the timing which does prevent the pinging that would have continued to happen if the timing wasn't retarded.

anything that sounds like a really fast "tick, tick, tick ..." noise under load is bad...

under WOT, when the full throttle switch is engaged, the system richens the mixture. The extra fuel cools the intake charge and reduces the likelihood of pre-detonation.

-nigel.