Re: is it dead? was(Roc with 84 GTI engine wont turn over)

--- "William Yeckel (Volt Computer)"
<a-willy@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hey people I have never had to deal with a blown engine
> before, but I think
> I may have one now.  I took out the plugs, to avoid
> compression and then
> tried to turn the engine by hand, and it will turned a
> little then "wham" it
> stops cold.  So I took off the starter thinking in some
> wierd way that was
> locking up the engine, and tried a hand turn again.
> Nothin'.  So I took off
> the valve cover to see if I could see anything wrong,
> nah.  So something is
> not turning deeper inside the engine.  Is this #%@$%?
> thing toast???
>
> -Bill

I had a similar problem with an '85 parts car once.  The
p.o. had driven it through a HELL of a lot of water and got
some into the cylinders - BAMN.  Locked the engine by
bending ALL FOUR rods, one so severely that it would hit
against the side of the cylinder wall.

Hopefully your problem is not that serious.

===
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry