Re: Fwd: Performance Cooling Questions

Jonas Karlsson wrote:

> I don't think that the knock sensor will really hurt performance all that much, mostly because it only retards timing when it knocks.  It might actually help (dunno for sure) by keeping your ignition as far advanced as allowed without knocking.

Yep, I'm in complete agreement with your entire explanation. What I want to do, though, is eliminate as much of this preignition as possible before I go to the knock sensor -which I consider inevitable, anyway.

Here's a question, though. Is pinging eliminated by a ks? My engine never actually knocks; it just sometimes sounds like a bunch of bb's are rolling around in a bucket when under load... Okay, and now a second issue: How come the engine is more likely to ping when at partial throttle in high gear? Intuitively I'd figure that it would happen under WOT -that is, when there is the *most* load and heat generated. It doesn't work out that way, though. How come?

> Even after you get a KS wired in, you still need to do all of the other things to keep the engine from knocking (reduce cyl head temp, higher octane fuel, well formed combustion chamber for optimal flame propagation, etc.), otherwise you won't see much benefit.

Yeah, how can I reduce my cylinder head temperature. I've already got a cooler fan switch and thermostat in there. I don't want to superchill the engine, though, and not let the thing warm up. In fact, the engine never seems to leave what I'd describe as an "acceptable" heat range.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut