MK1 Scirocco!

Hey Everyone,
    Just today I drove home my new project car....a '81 Scirocco!
I have been looking for one of these for a new project to work
on (not like my '86 16v doesn't give me enough to do....    ; )
Well, for those interested the car is silver and definitely needs
a paint job, has a factory sunroof!, is in need of exhaust work,
and some new tires.....but overall a nice car.  The body is
straight but has the typical rust spots forming....I am going to
do my best to stop it from spreading.
    The rocco really needs new shocks.  Has anyone had
good/bad experiences that they could share?  I was thinking
about using Boge Turbogas with possibly the factory springs
or possibly even the springs from my 16v.....will these work?
I just could use suggestions of any kind right now for
possibilities.  TIA