RE: sooty plugs. prognosis?

Sounds like you got it - running rich will leave black soot on the plugs,
not to mention washing the oil off of the cylinder walls while running,
leading to increased wear.

Cleaning the plugs is a Band-Aid measure, the mixture should be adjusted to
run normally.

Does anyone know if running rich robs power due to the cooling effect upon
the combustion gasses ?

Ron Antaki