Re: Drilled and slotted disk Q

well.. its also the ability of the material to transfer that heat to the
surrounding air instead of keeping it between the pad and rotor that
allows it to cool.  Depending on your setup with types of materials and
what-not you are able to keep your brakes cooler to work better.  With the
heat generated by the braking forces you will get "fade" from being too
hot.  the greater the surface area the better the cooling.  If you have
slotted rotors you get cool air between the actual plates that get clamped
if you have drilled rotors you still increase the amount of material
exposed to the surrounding air.  I personally don't know of any
substantial gaing from drilled rotors .. but they sure look neat. The
ideal setup in my honest opinion would be a vented rotor with a good pad
with some nice air - remember the larger the rotor the more surface area
to cool.  with more surface area to clamp.

Mark Madison
mmadison@aracnet.com