SV: Drilled and slotted disk Q

As you said, you transfer momentum energy to heat, problem is to get rid of the heat. You don't want to melt your pads and discs.

An aircraft brakes once or twice an hour at maximum, a car driven on the track brakes 10-20 times / minute.

By drilling the rotor you increase the surface area of the disc, allowing more air to cool down. You do loose some break area.

By slotting you get rid of the hot gases before they heat up the disc, and decrease of area is very small.

On race cars where you really stress your brakes drilled or slotted rotors are more common than on every day cars, altough it starts to come on every day cars to. The new Saab 9,3 Viggen has slotted front rotors from fabric.

Roland Johansson, Swedish Viking
Scirocco 1,6l RSi -82
Http://hem.passagen.se/toker