A1 -> A2 Axle/CV/steering knuckle question

Some of you may know I've got a 1.8l 16v sitting in my '81 Scirocco.

Some of you may not.

Well, I put the 5-spd from the '89 Jetta in there, too... for good measure.
The one with the bigger inner CV's.

Well, it wasn't long before I realized the Scirocco's axles wouldn't fit on
that transmission, and the Jetta's axles would not fit in the Scirocco's
wheel hubs.

So, I tried machining down the Jetta's axles on a friend's lathe. We got
somewhere, but not far enough.

I also realized the outer CV's could be popped right off the axle with a
swift knock.

Here's the question:

Could I flip flop outer CV joints between these A1 and A2 axles? i.e., will
the splines match?

I figure this is a much easier way to go, that hauling all these axles all
over my state numerous times.

As always, I appreciate any and all help.

Monday, I'll figure out why it won't start right up. Why no gas??? hehe...

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v