Re: Installation of Shift Bushings?

Toby Reed wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Went to a local import shop today and got A1 shifter bushings for only
> $6! (*gasp*) Its a little plastic bag stapled shut with lots of little
> rubber and plastic pieces in it. I got home and opened up Bentley
> expecting to find a section on replacing shift bushings...

Hah!

>  how do I do it?
> Where do I start?

Get up under the car dude.

> My center console is out because im installing an alarm
> and head unit, so I have easy access to the top of the shift mechanism.
> Unfortunately I have a 16V with the inconvienent drivers side intake, so
> its harder to get to the rods from above than it is in a GTI, for example.

Jack up the car and place some jack stands under the thing. Slid up
under the shift linkage and replace all the things that match what you
got in the bag. Perhaps it included the bushings around the vertical
shaft; this will require a wrench to temp. remove the nut at the bottom
and the small arm w/ it's rubber ball on the end.

There are nylon bushings, foam rubber washer things, circular tubular
bearing thingies. Just replace like with like. But- You will be under
the car to get at it all. Don't fret, the weekend is coming up. What
better time than a warm summer day spent up under the Scirocco.

> My other question is about motor mounts. I found one in the front,

Front Motor Mount

> one in the rear

Rear Motor Mount

> and one on the passenger side

Passenger (or that nasty, f%%kin motor) Mount

> , are there any others?

You missed the Tranny or Driver's side Mount. It's back there behind the
Battery, etc.
> The passenger side one needs to be replaced. Do I just jack up the engine
> (where? not the oil pan, right?) after I put jackstands under each side of
> the front and slip the old rubber donut off and put a new one on? Doesn't
> sound like it could be too hard.... or is there more too it? I think it'd
> be smart to change all of them at the same time, any comments?

Contact the Potterman dude. He'll 'Hook You Up'. You can get a motor
mount bracket with the mount prepressed into it (a small refundable core
charge applies). You can support the engine in a number of ways, inc.
placing a jack under the oil pan (w/ a piece of wood to or such to
cushion it).

> Thanks for all the help, this list is sure a great resource. Hopefully
> someday I will be a Scirocco expert and can contribute my help/experience
> as much as I'm asking questions now.. :P
>
> -Toby
> '87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V

TBerk