Installation of Shift Bushings?

Hey all,

Went to a local import shop today and got A1 shifter bushings for only
$6! (*gasp*) Its a little plastic bag stapled shut with lots of little
rubber and plastic pieces in it. I got home and opened up Bentley
expecting to find a section on replacing shift bushings (my car has 124k
and a bit of shifter 'slop' that i'd like to correct), however I could
only find a diagram of the shift linkage. I recognized 3 or 4 of the
pieces in the diagram as the bushings, but couldn't really tell where the
others went. Anyway, since you've all done this before, how do I do it?
Where do I start? My center console is out because im installing an alarm
and head unit, so I have easy access to the top of the shift mechanism.
Unfortunately I have a 16V with the inconvienent drivers side intake, so
its harder to get to the rods from above than it is in a GTI, for example.

How hard of a job and how much time does it take to change the bushings?
I've had a lot of problems with it shifting into 3rd when I put the lever
in the position for 1st, thus stalling the engine when I try to crawl
forward. The same thing happens with 2nd and 4th, except I always shift
into 4th when I'm trying to shift into 2nd, and both 1/3 and 2/4 never
happen the other way around (whenever the problem occurs, i always shift
into a higher gear than I'm trying to, not a lower gear).

My other question is about motor mounts. I found one in the front, one in
the rear and one on the passenger side, are there any others? The
passenger side one needs to be replaced. Do I just jack up the engine
(where? not the oil pan, right?) after I put jackstands under each side of
the front and slip the old rubber donut off and put a new one on? Doesn't
sound like it could be too hard.... or is there more too it? I think it'd
be smart to change all of them at the same time, any comments?

Thanks for all the help, this list is sure a great resource. Hopefully
someday I will be a Scirocco expert and can contribute my help/experience
as much as I'm asking questions now.. :P

-Toby

--
'87 Flash Silver Metallic Scirocco 16V