Roc with 84 GTI engine wont turn over

Hello people I have been reading this list for a while, but now I need some
advice.  I recently acquired a 79 scirocco with a 84 GTI 1.8L engine in it.
And the thing wont turn over.  Here is what I have found so far.

-The battery is fine(tested at 13v)
-The engine is not frozen from rust, turned it with a wrench(this is what I
suspected because the car has been sitting outside in the Seattle rain for a
year and a half.  With out being run.)
-When I turn the car over it make a click and then a chunk sound like its
stuck.

So I guess what I'm wondering is doesn't this sound like a starter
problem???  Or is it timing?  Or...I was hoping someone might have some more
info before I going digging into it even deeper.

Thanks

-Bill

79 scirocco (still recovering from neglect)