Re: brake bleeding

This is IMHO of course.  If you have a helper it is the easiest, low-tech (no special tools required) and very effective way of doing it.  All you need is a length of rubber hose that will fit over the bleeder valve (fish tubing from air pumps is what I use) and a small wrench (don't remember what size, but 8mm seems to ring a bell--maybe smaller).

Before you start you may want to shoot some liquid wrench around the bleeder valve if your breaks haven't been bled in a while.  You don't want to break a bleeder valve b/c that is a PITA.  I had to replace a drum cylinder b/c of this--not fun!  In any case, put the hose over the bleeder valve.  Have your friend sit in the car and push doen on the brake pedal.  While the pedal is still pressed down, open the bleeder valve a little bit (no need to open it too far) and allow fluid to run out.  When it stops coming out, close the valve and tell friend to let off of the pedal.  Tell friend to press down pedal and hold, open-close valve, let off pedal  etc until your fluid runs clear, or have purged out all the bubbles.

Bleed brakes in the order of:
1) rear passenger
2) rear drivers side
3) front passenger
4) front drivers side.

Make sure that your brake master cylinder is always topped off!  you don't want to get air in the system, b/c if you do, you have to start all over again.

HTH,

Victor

>>> "Ian" <e@sbbs.se> 08/04 10:37 AM >>>
I'm about to bleed my brakes for the first time, what's the 'preferred'
method. To use some kind of vacuum pump? or have a helper and do it with no
special tools? or, something else?
I can't decide if I want to pick up a 'mityvac bleeder kit' or not. Is it
worth it?

TIA
Ian