2.0l 16V turbo details.

For those of you who are interested, here's some info on what I'm doing for
a turbo system and general issues with putting together a turbo 16V (besides
the fact that IT IS NOT CHEAP).

There certainly aren't many turbo kits available for 16V (ESPECIALLY the
Scirocco), but I've been talking to Joshua Murray of Matrix Engineering,
located in Portland, OR.  I'm going with a "Stage I"
low-boost/non-intercooled setup that works with the stock compression ratio
to produce a responsive, torquey engine capable of over 200 BHP.  I recently
got a ride in his prototype car (92 GTI 16V) and it really DOES haul ass.
The big kicker is that this system requires KE-Motronic injection (a costly
and laborious upgrade) and a 2.5" exhaust is highly recommended.

Summary of the Matrix Engineering Stage I 16V turbo system:  custom made
stainless exhaust manifold, T3 turbo, stock comp ratio, 7 PSI max on 92
octane pump gas, no intercooler, over 200 BHP, installs in less than a day,
beat the pants off any normally aspirated 16V.  Requires KE-Motronic
(mounted on passenger side).  A2 16V price $2750, may be slightly higher to
fit A1.

General problems with implementing a turbo system include:

Locating a 16V turbo exhaust manifold & fabricating a downpipe.
    I hear there's a source in the UK or Germany, or you can
    try digging around for an old AMS 16V turbo manifold.
Suitable fuel delivery/engine management system (EMS).
    KE-Jetronic's fuel delivery is limited and it is not a fully
    programmable EMS (mainly because the knock sensing ignition
    is a separate unit).  KE-Motronic is a lot better but may not
    be good for over 225 BHP.
Forged pistons to make a low compression 2.0 16V motor are not
    readily available.  (Joshua at Matrix is planning on having
    pistons custom made by JE for the Stage II kit.)
Intercooler & plumbing.  Lots of options here, but easier said
   than done.

If you're serious about doing a 16V turbo and are willing to bite off the
big Motronic upgrade (or perhaps an aftermarket programmable FI/EMS system),
talk to Matrix about turbo solutions.  The contact info is:

Joshua Murray
Matrix Engineering (Portland, OR)
ph 503.691.1541 fx 503.227.5941
joshua@matrixmotorsports.com

Don't forget to mention that I referred you.  ;)

Bradley