wayward vacuum line: 1988 16v

I have a vacuum line that I can't find where it connects to.  I have
an 1988 16v.  There are 2 vacuum lines that originate from the rubber
air intake boot, right before it connects to the throttle body.  One
of the lines is short, and connects to a series of lines right behind
the intake manifold--no problems here.

The other line is long, and according to the schematic diagram under
my hood, it connects to the "on/off" valve which seems to be located
near cold air intake underneath the air box.  I looked for a long time
around the airbox for the on/off valve (looks like a flying saucer for
lack of a better description) but couldn't find it.  On my friends 16v
GTI the on/off valve is below the airbox near the front of the engine
bay.  One end of the line connects to the "on/off" valve and then
another line runs out of the valve and connects to a charcoal
canister.

Please don't tell me the on/off valve is located w/ the charcoal
canister behind the drivers side fender.

In any case, I can't fiind the on/off valve anywhere!  Any help is
appreciated.

Victor