Re: motor oil , which one??

At 07:48 AM 4/30/99 -0400, you wrote:
>     re-subscribed thanks to everyone!     Here's the  scenario     88 16V
>1.8L with rebuilt head and rebuilt motor: After I do the 3000 miles of
>breaing in, which I have 500 miles so far with  10w-40 oil, what oil weight
>should I use? Should I stay with organic 10w-40 (as per my mechanic)? or
>go to 20w-50(mechanic says no need to b/c everything is new in the  motor)?
> or switch to synthetic (mechanic says no big difference)?   Peace Rich Z

I ran straight organic 30 wieght till 3000 miles (I changed it at 250, and
500) and then went synthetic 15w-50 at 3000.  You have to change it fairly
often early in the motor's life because of all those nasty metal particles
that get released into your oil.
	I go with synthetic for the mere fact that it will _gain_ you horsepower
AND gas mileage, something rare in highly modified motors such as mine.
Dyno tests have proven that switching to synthetic will gain you a few
ponies.

Kevin Fry -- gear head/computer nerd
'81 Scirocco S 1.8l
'80 Scirocco   0.0l