Re: fiberglass undercarriage cover

"Scott F. Williams" wrote:
> My question is, however, will it actually make a dicernible difference -in
> fuel economy, wind noise, or high-speed stability? Whatever... it looks
> phat...But then, there is the area around the spare tire well back to the rear
> apron. This area would be just as "dirty" from an aerodynamic point of view,
> right?
>
> T Berk wrote:
> >
> > I threw the idea of fabricating one of these from scratch awhile back,
> > interest from the world at large ran from doubtful to nonexistent, for
> > the most part.
>
> (snip)
> --
> Scott F. Williams

[Heh, heh. My Mom (who is not a car nut btw, but would prob do just fine
in an older convert Mercedes) comes from Atlantic City. Wonder if
Scott's a cousin?]  (Wow, how off topic can I get?)

Anyhoo-

My answer is; You are Corrrrect, Sir!  The rear undercarriage would have
a good chance at being smoothed out since the rear axle itself doesn't
move much, just the swing arm portions.

Run from the axle to the rear apron, might be worth the trouble.
Considerations would have to be taken into account, like:  Fasteners so
that it stays on at speed and over potholes and comes off when it's time
to access stuff up behind it.

I'm also brainstorming the front end towards upside-down wing action.
The general idea is the area between the air dam and the leading edge of
the engine might be enclosed, providing for a surface low & parallel to
the ground. Materials, at least around the perimeter, might be fiberglas
covered Styrofoam- one for rigidity, the other lightweight but space
filling/ spanning and not easily compressible.  Area aft of the bottom
of the engine would be left free, perhaps with an engine trailing edge
downward flap. This would help to create a lower air pressure area
behind the engine, aiding the cooling airflow from front to back.

 Cooling when stuck in traffic becomes problematic if things are too
closed off. Cheeziness is to combated, in fact it shouldn't show at all,
if at all possible. All Go & No Show is the motto.

Thx for playing,
TBerk