Re: Airbox mods

This is EXACtLy what I've been thinking of building.
I was gonna wake the sheet metal enclose the whole airbox+fuel distributor
and keep all that cool too.
	A related problem I see with the 8v's the intake DIRECTLY over the
exhaust. Believe me, in a race our intakes get very hot, not good for
performance. I have tried icing down the intake manifold and I got
noticably better performance for a run or so (drag race) then it got hot
again. i was thinking of a sheet metal barrier (a la turbocharger) between
exhaust and intake manifold, exhaust wrap on the manifold itself, and maybe
blowing cold air on the intake and welding on cooling fins on the
manifold/runners. I know this stuff is out there, but this is all in my
head. The ultimate 8v! :)

	I've been thinking of a undercarrige 'fairing' thing too, and thinking of
using plexiglas and covering the whole bottom, including exhaust,
especially the rear end/ spare tire well area, that looks very bad
aerodynamically. Covering the exhaust will keep it hotter, increasing
performance, but not as much as wrapping it (decreasing lifespan). Also on
the fairing we could have 2-3 inch rubber air dam type things directing air
flow, either mounted longitudinally straightening it or angled directing
air out the sides, creating a vacuum for downforce at 200mph! an FF tranny
at 80000rpm woohoo!!

Just throwing stuff out there. I think about this too much ;)

At 08:25 PM 4/28/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Yah, perhaps your losing power because you are now sucking up hot engine air
>instead of air at the ambient temperature. I plan to run an open intake
one of
>these days. That is, the bottom of the air box will be removed completely.
>
>To keep the hot air out, I'll build an air bath system  -a simple thin sheet
>metal barrier that seals the area from the outside. Reflective heat shielding
>will go on the outside and weather stripping will butt up against the
bottom side
>of the hood. Huh huh. I said "butt"... Oh yeah, the cold air will be
supplied via
>a 300ZX Turbo hood scoop.
>
>Cmltech <fstamand@cmltech.com> wrote:
>
>> 1- I installed a K&N in my rocco 16v this weekend and drilled 30 holes in
>> the airbox (not on the engine side).  What a sound!!!  Anyways I think I
>> actually lost power.  Would it be because there is more air than gas
>> getting in?  I tried ajusting the mixture but it's still not very good...
>> Any ideas?
>
>--
>Scott F. Williams
>NJ Scirocco nut