Re: Airbox mods

--- Cmltech <fstamand@cmltech.com> wrote:
> 1- I installed a K&N in my rocco 16v this weekend and drilled 30 holes in
> the airbox (not on the engine side).  What a sound!!!  Anyways I think I
> actually lost power.  Would it be because there is more air than gas
> getting in?  I tried ajusting the mixture but it's still not very good...
> Any ideas?

Did you also set the timing?  These miserable CIS-E cars require that both be
done at the same time.  Where is your power loss in the rev band?  I did
something similar to my '86 GTi when I installed a 16v - 2 1/2" hole in the
front of the airbox.  Until a buddy did a similar mod to his 2.0L GTi, I was
consistently faster.

> 2- On my Jetta GTX (Sorry - non rocco -), i'm planning on installing
> swaybars.  Is this hard to install?  Someone told me that they came with
> polyerathane bushings and you need a "press" to insert it in the control
> arms.  Is this true?  Will this help the cars's handling in curves?

Swaybars will help your handling - regardless.  The installation of the front
bar on an A2 is truly a PITA.  It involves lowering the subframe (which holds
the engine/trans assy).  The idea is to lower it enough to provide access but
not enough that it falls on your head.  The rear bar installation is easier
than on an A1 b/c aside from the obligatory lower shock bolts, the bar clamps
to the axle beam without any additional hole.
===
Matthew Yip
mgyip@yahoo.com

'87 GTi 16v :)